If you’re like me, your days are busy, busy, busy. Whether I am on calls with clients, searching out new clients, helping current clients with their content strategy, giving into the demands of Henrietta the Diva Poodle or trying to step away from it all for a few minutes and just trying to catch my breath some days I forget to be happy. I forget to count my blessings and believe me when you have gone through breast cancer and surgeries and treatments and sweat out the results of oncologist appointments you need to always remember to count your blessings.
Here are my quick tips for a) counting your blessings and b) finding quick bursts of happiness. Ready. Set. Go:
- Stand up. Yep, that’s right. Get away from your desk and just stand up and walk around. Give your arms and legs a shake, bend over, rotate your shoulders. Get that blood moving. Movement may not cause happiness but it can relieve stress.
- Spend 15 minutes working on a task you just do not want to work on. Having an unpleasant task hanging over your head drains your energy and depletes your productivity. Devoting 15 minutes to a task you don’t like (whether it’s cooking dinner, cleaning the kitty litter box, tackling a daunting client project) will help you whittle away at it until it is manageable.
- Call a friend or colleague. Just hearing someone else’s voice — especially if you work from home — can be a mood booster. Don’t let yourself get sidetracked into a call that takes hours (because then you will feel stressed later on, believe me, I know) but just give yourself 15 minutes to reach out and connect, laugh, vent, share a happy moment, get a worry off your chest, tell a friend you appreciate her)
- Smile. Stop what you’re doing and just smile. The physical act of smiling can boost your mood. If you don’t want to smile at your computer screen then smile at one of your pets or a family member (hopefully they will smile back and not wonder whether you’ve lost your marbles!)
- Make a plan for fun. Don’t let your life be ruled by work. Plan for fun. Make a movie date. Invite friends or family over for game and pizza night. Whatever you enjoy doing, do it with some friends, get it on a calendar and you will have something to look forward to.
What can you do today, right now to be happy?