Goals. Goals. Goals. We all have them, right? Right? I know, sometimes setting goals can be daunting. Where do you begin? What goals in particular do you feel you need to accomplish? What goals will — at the end of the day — make you feel your business and your life has some sort of meaning and purpose?
Here are my top tips for goal setting:
- What do you value? If you have values in life and work, you can build your goals around those values. Write down what is important to you in both business and life. Write down what makes you happy and brings you joy. Set goals to achieve “more of that.”
- Is your goal to write a book? Build a website? Move cross country? Write down the end goal and then work your way backwards and chart goal-setting steps to make that dream come true.
- Write down what you want to achieve this year. Choose five things — or more if you’re so inclined. Do you want to lose weight? Make that goal measurable, ie. I want to lose 10 pounds. If your goal is vague (I want to lose weight) you will have a difficult time measuring and tracking results. If you’re a visual person, create a story board, or a Pinterest board, that notes your five items you’re hoping to achieve this year. Add to your board when you find visuals that bring it to life and share your successes!
- Write a bucket list of the top five things you want to accomplish before you die. It may be morbid, but once I was faced with #breastcancer I realized I am not invincible. I think I used to believe — like teenagers do — that nothing was going to stop me. Cancer is a slap in the face that you are, in fact, mortal. Write down what you want to do. On my list? Hike a portion of the Appalachian Trail.
- Stop multi-tasking. It is NOT your friend and will NOT make you more productive. Focus your efforts on one project at a time, bang that out and then move onto the next. Concentrating your energies in one place will make it easier to see it all come together.
- “In my perfect world…” if you could have or make a “perfect world” what would that look like to you? Is it a goal you want to attain? If so, write it down. Pin it to your Pinterest board and make it happen!
- Nurture your spirit and your soul. You can’t constantly be “on.” Well, you can, but you shouldn’t. Take a breather. Meditate. Pray. Take a walk in the woods. Sit in the yard and sip a cup of tea.
What works for you when you’re setting goals?